ROUNDUP 2 April 22nd

by Haggai Cohen-Milo


DANCE: Alex Jenkins & Nicholas Grubbs
MUSIC: Aaron Parks & Haggai Cohen-Milo

1st round  (Nicholas & Aaron)

Nicholas:  Something that starts very far off & has a sense of coming much closer to this space.
Aaron: You need the light, but you don’t really want to look at it.
Nicholas: The tone is melancholy but there are interjections of crazed, not necessarily happy, moments.  
Aaron: I’m trying to find a thing that will fit with what we already have…..In conjunction with starting from far away and finding our way to here you do exactly that.  I mirror your turning back to me.  

2nd Round (Aaron and Alex)

Aaron: You’re movement initially is robotic and mechanical and slowly you start being able to move normally/fluidly.
Alex: Start really rhythmic & become melodic
Aaron: There is one moment where regardless of what stage you’re at you loose all control and the control is given to some other force.  
Alex: So when you are rhythmic - it’s very neutral and it become nostalgic when you are melodic.

3rd Round (Haggai, Nicholas & Alex)

Haggai:  You guys start by yourselves (to dancers).  It starts very very small, in order to give yourself the chance to vibe and get on the same frequency and then from there on - the whole progression is so that you can hardly tell why the next thing happens.  It progresses so slowly that you can hardly tell from moment to moment that it’s moving at all - but it is.
Alex: Interspersing moments of humor
Haggai: Can you, at some point, about 70% into the piece, forget about the slow progression thing and you take the memory of everything that happened before and dance it backward in the remaining 30% that’s left.
Nicholas: You’re not allowed to use your bow.

4th Round (all performers)

Nicholas: One of you (to musicians) is always in 5/4 and the other can't stick to any specific rhythm.
Aaron: Nicholas, your left hand is sticky. Oh, and it wears off eventually. 
Alex: (to musicians) Start more ambient and get to something more specific, more recognizable.
Haggai: Alex, you sometimes have this thing where you copy everything Nicholas is doing and you try your best to be sneaky about it.